Re: transposition tizzy

From: aaron mehl
Subject: Re: transposition tizzy
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 11:47:43 -0400

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On Aug 30 2020, at 10:33 am, Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com> wrote:
On Sun, 2020-08-30 at 08:16 -0400, aaron mehl wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks for all your help,
> I have a melody in a minor and I want to move it to d dorian  and
> have denemo transpose the notes for me, but I can't seem to get
> denemo's transposition to work for me.
> I tried changing key but didn't see dorian as an option and I tried
> to change it from c major to a minor but  it gave me no option to
> transpose the pitches.
> In the transpose dialog box I made the inititial note name a and the
> transposed note name d but nothing happened.

You need to read Section 27.1 of the manual (Help->Browse Manual)
you mean 24.1 right

btw it doen't mention that if you want to transpose a section select it. I clicked the check box and I thought theat should be good enough.
maybe the transpose note works if I make a selection?

I did but since it didn't give a step by step procedure I didn't get it. Also an example would also have been helpful.
> Whein I went to the note transposition it only transposed one note,
> which is slower then me just changing each note manually.

If you make a selection it will transpose all the notes in the
selection. But think first: do I really want to change the input notes
or just the output typesetting? They are two completely different
things in different menus.

I did a save as and created a new file called d dorian so yes I wanted to change the actual pitches.
e.g

Command: Arbitrary transpose down
Transpose/shift the cursor note or selection an arbitrary number of
tones down. User can specify interval through a dialog.
Location: Object Menu ▶ _Notes/Rests ▶ Transpose Music
Internal Name: ShiftRealDialogDown

I am assuming this also works on a selection.
is actually changing the notes you wrote in the first place while

Command: Transpose on Print (Graphical Interface)
Gets an interval from the user: the entire score is transposed by this
interval on typesetting - key signatures are transposed as well as
notes and chord symbols.
Location: Object Menu ▶ _Score ▶ Typesetter
Internal Name: TransposeOnPrint

is changing the key that the piece will be typeset in.
But still I don't see Dorian or phrygian  at all in denemo but it exists in lillypond
Thanks,
Aaron