Re: Crackling sound when changing Slowdown slider in Playback Control

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Crackling sound when changing Slowdown slider in Playback Control
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 17:53:30 +0100

On Sat, 2021-10-30 at 19:18 +0300, Lib Lists wrote:
> Hi,
> (Listen to the attached .mp3) When I change the Slowdown value in the
> Playback Control (in this case to 1,2) I get this crackling sound. At
> speed = 1 everything works fine. I thought the slider would change
> the
> BPM but it seems it tries to stretch the audio in real-time, am I
> right?

Yes, to change the BPM you use the button at the other end of the line
where the BPM is given.

The slowdown slider does real-time slowdown of the audio output, so
everything, the attack, the decay all is slowed down. The quality isn't
as good as when not slowed down but it doesn't have the type of
distortion in your example. I take it you haven't got the volume too
high? I was thinking it may just be a question of raw computing power,
but I just tested it on a dual core 1.5GHz Asus laptop under Windows
and it worked fine. That machine takes an age to typeset or do anything
much.
Anyone else tried the slowdown feature? (It's really for people
transcribing from audio source - you load the audio and then it's handy
to slow it down sometimes as you transcribe).