dev-serveez

[dev-serveez] New life foer serveez

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: [dev-serveez] New life foer serveez
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:50:01 +0100

Hello Thien-Thi, Hello World!

After all these years Stefan and I are glad to welcome a new member of the serveez group on Savannah. Thien-Thi volunteered to do some work on serveez and we like the idea very much :)

serveez was in zombie-state for all the time due to lack of time. Perhaps this will be better now.

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

() Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob <address@hidden>
() Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:44:53 +0100

[...]

   In the meantime: Is there a diff-view of all the changes you are about to
   commit? I'm just curious.

Actually, i don't have any changes to commit, just the desire to participate.
I think the last time i built Serveez was about five years ago (no problems),
so my actions would be roughly:

- clone latest repo
- update maintenance stuff (COPYING, HACKING, README, etc)
- update autotools infrastructure
- build against Unofficial Guile 1.4
- build against Guile 1.6
- etc. (basically, modernize the codebase first, then work my way from old
- Guile to new Guile, then look at the changes that Mike Gran has done)

This means my first commits would probably be "non-functional changes", tagged
with "; nfc" in the VCS log, and not included in the ChangeLog files.  If you
could move it from CVS to Git, i would be most grateful (and more productive).
I see the mailing lists are full of spam :( but will subscribe to and (try to)
use dev-serveez unless you can suggest another venue.

The dev-serveez list is definitly the way to communicate. You can contact me directly, but as you can tell by now, I might be slow to respond :)

Your above plan sounds fine to me, but I'd like to suggest a slightly different order, though:

- move everything to git first
(I'm trying a git-cvsimport right now, let's see if something pushable comes out)
- releases stay in "master" branch, you work in "serveez-next" or something
- Update to GPLv3
then:
- update maintenance stuff (COPYING, HACKING, README, etc)
- update autotools infrastructure
- build against Unofficial Guile 1.4
- build against Guile 1.6
- etc.
- Guile to new Guile, then look at the changes that Mike Gran has done)

I'd very muck like to see serveez arrive in the new century. Backward compatibility with Guile 1.4 wouldn't be important to me. I'd like to see serveez work with current Guile versions (whatever they are, I don't know :).

Also, I assume that Mike Gran did some good work. Unfortunately he seems to have dropped W32 support. I can understand this but I'd like to see serveez work on all OSes in the future. So we probably don't want to use his patches directly but rather just have a good look at his Guile porting...

Now, good luck Thien-Thi :) I apologize upfront for all my not-responding. It's not that I don't care, it's just the bare lack of time (work, family, etc).

        Raimund