dfey-general-discuss

Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Safer Internet Campaign...

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Safer Internet Campaign...
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:42:06 +0000

Tim Dobson wrote:
> Thoughts & comment?
>
> http://www.cypnow.co.uk/news/ByDiscipline/Education/982877/Campaign-warns-children-dangers-internet/
The final paragraph of the above states "She said: "Excessive online
activity can generate autism, attention deficit disorder, hyperactivity,
depression, hostility, social phobia, and an inability to compromise, to
learn or to empathise.""

But offers no links to any evidence or research to back this up, !!!

and this person is meant to be an expert i have heard this defined as

ex - has been
spurt - drip under pressure.

> http://cloud.contrapositive.net/ceopmedia/

OK not bad,  but the text uses the word child, the video refers to young
people aged 7 +, can't they be consistant.

> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1591096/microsoft-launches-child-friendly-browser

If this CEOP browser plug in was written properly why can't it be cross
platform like most of the other plugins for browsers such as Firefox.

"In addition, the 'Click Clever, Click Safe' browser offers a number of
reporting tools that users can employ to flag inappropriate material or
report incidents of online bullying. Like what you used to see from the
Clippy bloke whenever you started to write a letter."

Nooooo, clipppy reincarnated,  I have visions of some annoying popup,
you are looking for a website, do you want some help, you are typing an
e0-mail do you want some help.

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/02/government_advice_browse_safel.html

Good points here made about open source and open rights,

Government say they support Open source and yet they are promoting a
browser that has security flaws,  the same browser (not sure about
version) that both France and Germany have advised people not to use.

MS say that their OS has built in safety (fine), doesn't some of the
Linux distributions have something similar,  the difference is that the
Linux solutions are free (as in freedom) and don't require the latest
operating system to work.

Perhaps this is something we can do as DFEY to promote this fact, even
though talking dfey members on #dfey it goes against what we stand for.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details