[directory-discuss] 8 character name limit?

From: Roger Pack
Subject: [directory-discuss] 8 character name limit?
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:33:11 -0600

Hello.
I noticed with some dismay that my common choice of username
(rogerdpack) wasn't allows for the gnu naming system.
That would be ok, except that the login page, itself
https://cas.fsf.org/login
happily and gladly accepts longer than 8 characters long usernames.

So for me this basically means that, in my memory, I'm going to have
to special case "oh yeah, this one particular page requires me to
enter the rather awkward rogerdpa".  Could I request that the problem
be rectified in some way or another (the 2 that come to mind would be
"disallow entry of > 8 character login names, or truncate them at
input" or allow for > 8 character usernames would be a second).
Cheers!
-r