Re: [directory-discuss] Collection:IceCat extensions (proposed) "Edit" b

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Collection:IceCat extensions (proposed) "Edit" blocked
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:39:23 -0400

On 04/16/2015 07:33 PM, Svetlana A. Tkachenko wrote:
>> As far as I
>> know, all projects that have listings of Mozilla add-ons rely upon the
>> Mozilla site for getting the licensing data for each add-on. However, we
>> have found that the Mozilla license info is often incorrect.
>
> At addons.mozilla.org, the license is indicated by the author manually at the
> time of upload. The website has no automatic detection scripts to my
> knowledge.
>
> Has someone brought up this problem with Mozilla? I understand if we want to
> review licenses by hand again, but if there is opportunity to work together
> and maybe have their website pull licensing information from the fsf
> directory for bigger accuracy, it could be useful.

I think once we have added a large number of add-ons (like 200) then it
might be worth approaching Mozilla about that sort of collaboration.
Also, there are some situations in which we don't want to actually point
to addons.mozilla.org for download links but to the project homepage or
some other area.

--
Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager  <http://www.fsf.org/licensing>