Re: [directory-discuss] Antifeatures - Names with Controversial Terms: l

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Antifeatures - Names with Controversial Terms: linux
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 01:05:42 -0800

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 03:17 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> This is complete folly.  Tilting at windmills.  The horse has left the barn.
> There is so much OTHER work to do which has real benefits for Free Software
> users, developers and the movement.

The time spent discussing it is already probably more than the time
implementing it. So should we spend more time here discussing it, or we
go do the other more important work? No need to reply if you really
believe that.

> Case in point: Circus Linux
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Circus_Linux#tab=Overview
> The FSD in 2017 shames them with a scarlet letter for not calling the
> software "Circus GNU/Linux"?

It's not shaming them with a scarlet letter, it's not asking them to
change the name. It's simply informing people: here is an instance of
this issue. Carry on. If you want to make the wording friendlier, feel
free to make an edit to the wiki.

> People like short names. period. full-stop. They're easier to say, type,
> spell, fit on a sheet of paper. My name is Gregory.  I don't even call myself
> that. And nobody calls me Gregory Scott Rundlett except on my driver's
> license.  So when naming a piece of software, people come up with whatever is
> short, and catchy. If a game is called Circus Linux, we should be happy and
> proud that it was ported run in a Linux environment.

We are happy, and I'm not recommending the name be changed, but this is
not the one true shortest name or anything: most software targeting a
new os or platform do not put that in their name, so circus, or circus
gnu would have been <= in length.