Re: [directory-discuss] Antifeatures: new "nonfree documentation" sectio

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Antifeatures: new "nonfree documentation" section & hostile edits thereto
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 16:01:13 +0100

On 2017-01-15 16:43, Anonymous wrote:
I've introduced a new antifeature with heading "closed documentation",
which was withheld until a moderator approved it (fair enough).  David
Hedlund renamed it to "Nonfree Documentation" (a good improvement).

IanK then decides he doesn't like the heading, but instead of renaming
it he left the heading and deleted ~95% of the text.  The malice:

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Free_Software_Directory%3AAntifeatures&action=historysubmit&diff=40983&oldid=40979

IanK attempts to argue that this is not hostile, that it's normal to
delete someones work to "start the discussion".  It's like punching
someone in the face to get their attention.  This is not how wikis
work.

If something can be improved, you improve it (David Hedlund
demonstrated this well).  You don't delete the whole thing and then
try to pass this off as civil behavior.  If you cannot improve on
something in the wiki, it's best not to touch it.  If IanK cannot
think of a better name for the heading, the right thing to do is step
aside and let someone else invent a heading while the text is still in
tact.  Start a discussion called "how can heading X be improved?"

Apart from the absurdity of people's work being deleted because one
person decided for everyone what freedoms are unimportant and then
used /nomenclature/ as the rationale -- more generally:

   * fsf.org is (expected to be) a sanctuary of freedom, not a place
     where people should encounter repression through hostile
     destruction of their effort.

Going forward, I'm not going to reverse the removal (it would be like
voting for myself).  If someone other than myself does not restore the
text, I will excuse myself from further fsf.org contributions.

And if FSF agrees that tracking and anonymity are user freedoms, and
that users should be able to discover which projects in the FSF
directory respect or repress those freedoms, then my next concern is
why the "nonfree documentation" flags added to these projects:

   * Anki
   * Gnu Radio
   * Tcl
   * Wireshark

do not appear.  IanK renamed the "ask..." tags on the antifeatures
page, but he did not rename the references thereto.  But even before
that renaming, the flags were not rendering.  So I think there is an
issue with moderators not seeing changes when a flag gets added to a
project page.

Please note this was sent anonymously, so my address will be unusable.
But I will check the list archives.

I renamed it to "Nonfree documentation" because we avoid the term "closed": https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Closed