[directory-discuss] Evaluating different components of Bitwarden

From: David Seaward
Subject: [directory-discuss] Evaluating different components of Bitwarden
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 14:13:41 +0200

Hi all,

Bitwarden is a complete password management solution, it includes a
browser extension [1] and an option to store data on the
vendor/developers' eponymous server or a self-hosted backend [2].

However, the backend is written in C# - last time I checked it was
still non-free due to patent issues. So the self-hosted server can't be
listed on FSD. But what about the browser extension, which is not C#
but presumably points to that server? (In this case the data is
encrypted by the client [3], so the user is not required to trust the
server.)

Regards,
David

P.S. If anyone knows of a direct equivalent without these
complications, I'd love to hear about it!

[1]: https://github.com/bitwarden/browser
[2]: https://github.com/bitwarden/core
[3]: https://help.bitwarden.com/article/can-bitwarden-see-my-passwords/