Re: [directory-discuss] Directory import project: what are the keys?

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Directory import project: what are the keys?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 07:16:37 -0700

David Seaward <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I don't have time to volunteer for the import project, but I am curious
> to know how it fits into the world of packaging and distros. I
> occasionally use FSD page names as a key (aka primary key) for
> free/libre packages, and I wanted to check if this actually makes any
> sense.
>
> Does FSF/FSD consider an FSD page to be the canonical reference for
> that package. Rather than, say, the Guix or Debian package page. (Which
> isn't to say it could get out of date.)
>
> Of course the **ultimate** point of reference remains wikidata.org, for
> example https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q7609 :)
>
> Regards,
> David

I don't think FSD or FSF has a policy on canonical names, but my
impression is it's best for FSD to get package names from upstream, and
sometimes we use sources like Debian for the import project because it
can be done with automation. And, I think the FSD prefers to use
something closer to the source package name in debian, which is closer
to the upstream name, which can split into multiple installable debian
packages.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF