Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Replacements

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Replacements
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 06:31:30 -0500

On 01/11/2018 04:46 AM, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> I believe the intent is to ignore the existence of proprietary software.
> People need to search by the name of the function (i.e. 'word processor',
> 'web browser'). People searching by names (i.e. 'Microsoft Word', 'Internet
> Explorer') need to face a 'no results found, here are search tips' page. This
> is my personal opinion. I would either move any content that mentions
> proprietary software (such as
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/User:David_Hedlund/Free_software_replacements)
> to another site, or to a new "Non-free:" namespace on-wiki which has a
> "information here includes references to software that mistreats you!"-like
> disclaimer at the top of each page.

the problem with thinking that way is that this suggestion greatly
over-complicates the user experience - it is important to remember that
the target audience (casual windows and mac users) is not necessarily
familiar with the such categories and jargon - for the sake of user
experience, one should assume that it is more likely that a visitor to
those pages may be specifically looking to replace "word" or "skype" but
they are not looking for a "word processor" or "VOIP communicator"