Re: [directory-discuss] [[Sux0r]] links to a proprietary page

From: Marcin Cieslak
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] [[Sux0r]] links to a proprietary page
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:55:28 +0000

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for sharing. I indeed agree that opening the homepage works OK with
> librejs for the most part.
>
> Ian Kelling <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Visiting a http://github.com link does not require running nonfree
> > javascript. It asks the browser to, but you can choose not to by
> > disabling it through settings or an extension like librejs or noscript
> > or others. That is the case for most web pages, so It's ok for the
> > directory to link to them.
>
> Imagine when visiting a homepage, it would run skype.exe in background
> without prompting. Since most users don't have librejs and don't know of the
> problem, that's effectively what happens. We are helping various peple track
> FSF directory users by linking to the page.

That's a very far fetched idea; I guess one would need to audit ALL the links
in the directory for this.
Personally I just don't find this helpful.

Another issue here is that the git clone URL and the web interface URL are the
same.

While we are here, we could modify all the links to point to HTTPS instead of
HTTP. The users
will get redirected anyway.