Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: Lorenzo L. Ancora
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 08:32:13 +0000

While Notepad++ is one of the best editors for Windows coders, its developer is infamous for his (very) questionable "Easter Eggs" hidden in the software from time to time and for the insecurity of his distribution channels. From time to time I have to use Windows and I remember that one morning I executed that editor to take some notes and I got scared when suddenly it started typing by itself a message. Standard routine: disconnect the RJ, immediately reboot in recovery, run AV scans, ... but, soon after, I discovered it was a weird joke from the developer. I've read that after that he kept hiding political and sexual "jokes" into the code and, given one day he pretended to be hacked and after that he was really hacked by Islamic terrorist groups and he's also involved in political stuff, I decided to steer away because I thought "today its a jumpscare, tomorrow will be ransomware". A few months ago, China blocked Notepad++ after he inserted a political message directly in the release name - message which I personally support and find right - but that created a severe disservice to end users. Very unprofessional.