Re: On the good neutrality of free software

From: Greg Farough
Subject: Re: On the good neutrality of free software
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 11:13:11 -0400

On Fri, Aug 06 2021, Michael McMahon <michael@fsf.org> wrote:

> If a free software program contains political messages and someone
> does not agree or want the political messages, they could fork the
> project and remove unwanted content as it is free software.  This is
> very different from proprietary software where the four freedoms are
> not present.  Political programs are not equal to proprietary
> software.

+1

Also: RMS clarified the free software definition to address this point
somewhat recently. From what I understand, the program / behavior that
motivated Version 1.165 of the definition was the phone app Tusky's
preventing users from connecting to a certain instance, and displaying
a politically motivated message when they tried to do so.

<http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/www/philosophy/free-sw.html?root=www&r1=1.164&r2=1.165>

-g

--
Greg Farough // Campaigns Manager