Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot find sources...

From: Benjamin J. Tarval
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot find sources...
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:26:04 -0700

> From address@hidden  Thu Aug 30 22:25:01 2001
> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cannot find sources...
>
> I figured that the daily snapshot is for people who are not familiar
> with CVS.  Most projects which issue snapshots make no guarantees
> about anything, including whether or not they build.

This is fine; we should make it clear that it's a dynamic snapshot.
Since there wasn't a frozen copy around, nor any news of changes to
the tree, I had assumed that the tree hadn't changed.

As you've been kind enough to give me access, I'd be happy to take
the initiative to mention on the web-page that the CVS repository is
a dynamic version. I think there's still one more thing I need before I'm
allowed to put back any changes (which we can coordinate via private email).

> My strategy is to assume that the CVS repository is dynamic, and to
> periodically declare "stable" versions that are tagged in the
> repository and are believed to work well.  From those we'll generate
> "official" releases, even if they are "works in progress" -- at a
> minimum, they should build without errors on at least linux.

Agreed.

> Once the new autoconf stuff is checked in, we should strive to not
> check anything in that doesn't build cleanly.  I know that until we get
> a chance to work through all the code, there is bit rot, and some of
> the stuff doesn't build.  I figure we just comment it out of the
> makefiles and keep pressing on.

I've commented out certain areas where I had problems. Right now the
build will complete successfully; but not everything is included in
the build. The pspectra code builds - both the libraries and the
sample programs.

> I've successfully coordinated other development using CVS with
> several developers, and as long as folks are in communication, CVS's
> conflict resolution works pretty well.

Yes. I've used CVS are well; and it has a long successful history of being
used with projects. There's only one system which I've seen that is better,
but it's not an option.

        -ben-