[Discuss-gnuradio] Help for a novice.

From: Richard Staley
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help for a novice.
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:56:34 +0100 (BST)

Sorry for being inept but I'm trying to get this clever piece of software up
and
running on a virgin Redhat 7.2 installation. Maybe comments will help any other
newbies.

I've managed to build and run the examples with varying sucess.

First off , the examples couldnt find the libraries for fftw etc, which were in
/usr/local/lib. for a quick fix I copied them  into /usr/lib.
(whats the correct way to link to these BTW ?)

This allowed "simple_scope" to run, except the timebase widget was broken.

Examples that talked to the sound card dont run, reporting /dev/audio busy!
I even tried turning off the sound server.

Any help much appreciated. Once the software is running I intend to connect a
VHF  receiver with say a Maxim IQ down converter into the sound card inputs. If
this works well , I'll then try via ADCs into a parallel port to pull in 500kHz
bw. Well Its a hobby and I cant justify 1000s on a nice ADC board, but I do
understand the motives for using off-the-shelf hardware to prove the software.
(BTW I'm a digital electronics engineer, with an interest in radio , who can
also write C , C++ and VHDL stuff.)

Richard.