RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] PMR data decode

From: Matthew Burnham
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] PMR data decode
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:32:53 +0100

Okay, I've been playing around today. Have managed to get a simple data
slicer working and got some plots which I'll pop on the web in case
anyone's interested (or can tell me the difference between the signal
types). They're at http://www.btinternet.com/~mat_burnham/. 2sine.png
looks to me like a sine wave, but I don't think I've got enough
bandwidth to sample it properly.

I think my main problem is my lack of understanding of radio
modulation... (but I've been looking for documents on the web to solve
that). From what I've seen, I'm not quite sure why the
FreqXlatingFIRfilter is necessary, as the signal is already narrowband
as it has been downconverted within the receiver before going to the
soundcard (other than the filtering).

I'm don't fully understand what Quadrature demodulation is doing, but
will read up on this. I can understand Filtering, but what is
decimation? Other than the middle bits of the chain, I understand the
rest as follows:

AudioSource - input from discriminator output on scanner into soundcard
              analogue --> floating point
FreqXlatingFIRfilter
Quadrature Demod
Filtering/Decimation
Data Slicing - floating point --> binary data (1 = +ve, 0 = -ve for
e.g.)
Output       - binary --> file (e.g.)

Ian Wraith mentioned that some people have been feeding the I & Q data
on each channel of their sound card's stereo line input. What are the
benefits of this - does it allow decoding of some signals that are not
possible through simply connecting the discriminator to the soundcard?