Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] APCO 25
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:48:31 -0000

Ian Wraith <address@hidden> said:

> Hello
>       In addition to the legal situation regarding IMBE there
> are (or were) patents relating to how a receiver could track a
> trunked radio system in the US. These were certainly valid in the
> mid-1990's when someone I know looked into developing a product.

Everything in the world has been patented.  Multiple times.  My company has
patents on AGCs and PLLs.  Does that mean we shouldn't use those either?  Do you
really think that you couldn't do radio trunking without getting sued?  Trunking
is decades old, and a technology owned by nobody.

>   In short its a mess best kept away from unless you obtain detailed
> legal advice.

Looks like we have a lot of armchair lawyers around here trying to discourage
people from actually doing something.  If you don't want to contribute for
whatever reason, then don't.  Please stop scaring and discouraging those who do.

Matt