Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hardware design guidelines

From: David Bengtson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Hardware design guidelines
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:07:51 -0500

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:12:34 -0800, you wrote:

>I've got a pretty good idea of what components I'd need to build a tuner
>(ARRL Handbook and other sources are good for that), but I get the feeling
>it's not as easy as ordering up chips from Minicircuits and running traces
>between them.  I don't have a lot of EE background (just basic electronics
>as taught in a calc-based physics class), is circuit design with RF
>components something that's relatively easy to pick up, or should I give
>up and save myself great deals of frustration?
>
>If it's pretty easy to learn, are there any reccomended books to read that
>would be appropriate for someone of my electronics knowledge level?

Well, RF is easy to learn in broad strokes, but the fine details are
what bit you in the butt every time. You might want to start at ARRL
and TAPR for some basic information. ARRL has some good starting
points for the hardware, and QEX (ARRL's technical journal) has run
several hardware oriented papers recently.

Dave