Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IF ADC, and the radio itself

From: Hamish Moffatt
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IF ADC, and the radio itself
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:23:07 +1100

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:55:32AM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> (1) What SDR implementations are going to be ready first?
>   It sounds like HDTV is on the way soon... but what cellular standards will
> be available first?  AMPS seems like an obvious choice, because its just a
> simple FM modulation, low BW, etc.

Just a couple of comments/questions here, if I may:

Is AMPS still being used much? We have a totally digital network here in
Australia (both GSM and CDMA); AMPS was closed down a year or two ago.

Secondly what is the modulation format etc behind HDTV? In my
understanding HDTV is a fairly vague term which includes a number of
different picture formats (varying numbers of lines, interleaved or
progressive scan). Then it's carried on top of a modulation like 8VSB (?
North America) or COFDM (most of the world). PAL and NTSC are probably
in there somewhere too. The 8VSB/COFDM difference is probably the
biggest. What's the initial target of HDTV support?

Cheers,
Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <address@hidden> <address@hidden>