Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Salon article -- off topic
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:22:37 -0800

David Reed's physics is not strictly correct. He maintains that "Photons in free space act almost exclusively as waves. Therefore, when they cross paths they merely set up an interference pattern for the very brief time of their interaction. No energy is exchanged and the quantum state of each photon is unchanged after they pass each other."

While in a vacuum this is most certainly true, in the air or other media where matter is present as the photons cross paths this is not necessarily true. From Quantum Electro Dynamics we know that photons routinely interact with the electrons of nearby matter and that these interactions can modify or convert the photons and the states of the matter. We see these interactions every day. That is how signals interact inside antennas. (which are seas of electrons). That is how signals reflect and refract. You can get frequency doubling, you can get tropospheric tunneling, etc.

Since David is promoting a new regulatory regime based on good science his proposals need to take into account QED and the effects on his proposals, if any. I've brought this to David's attention but neither of us has the rigorous background to adequately field these questions.

Interestingly, the audio spectrum is also limited in bandwidth and communications capacity. Why has Congress not regulated sound pressure waves? My recollection is that they have declined to do so because most sound waves generally do not travel sufficiently far, with sufficient intensity, as to cause problems in adjoining states (its good to remember that the FCC's authority seems to rest entirely on the U.S. Constitution's Commerce Clause). I think one could easily make the case that although all radio waves are theoretically capable of traveling almost infinite distances, in a practical sense the contribution of small signal microwave devices to the electromagnetic field density across state lines is similarly negligible and may in fact be undetectable by almost any means under most conditions. If so, is there a constitutional basis for the FCC's regulation of low power microwave transmissions within states? Except to those that view federal authority as limited only by whatever it feels is "Necessary and Proper", I would maintain there is none.

steve