[Discuss-gnuradio] Soundcard driver suggestions, please

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Soundcard driver suggestions, please
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 12:01:39 -0400

I am just getting ready to install GnuRadio in anticipation of Gerald Youngblood's SDR-1000 radio showing up in a few weeks.

I have an M-Audio Delta44 card (4 ins, 4 outs, 24 bit, 96ksamples/sec, full duplex) that I've been using with the commercial OSS Envy24 driver. It seems to work OK, though the driver doesn't let me tie inputs and outputs together to look like a normal soundcard that uses a single device for both directions. I'm using the OSS drivers because last year I had a terrible time trying to get all the Alsa stuff working.

I'm curious what driver setup people are using for GnuRadio? Should I give Alsa another go, or stick with the OSS drivers? (FWIW, the computer is an Athlon 2000+ and I'm running 2.4.20, Debian testing, and KDE 3.1).

Thanks,

John