[Discuss-gnuradio] Analog Devices ADC

From: Kimsey Pollard
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analog Devices ADC
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 08:45:44 -0400

I have acquired an Analog Devices ADC 14bit 80msps chip mounted on a pcb reference board.
http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/productPage/productHome/0%2C2121%2CAD6645%2C00.html
It is designed to be connected to the following fifo board for testing.
http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/productPage/productHome/0%2C2121%2CHSC%255FEVALBOARD%2C00.html
The connector on the fifo board is parallel, and Analog Devices can't tell me
how it is controlled.  The Demo software with the Fifo board is proprietary.
(It shows the basic signal and fft's etc. but can't stream continuously to a file)

However, with any luck I will figure out how to talk to the fifo board with something else.
The object would be to feed a data stream into something like Matlab Simulink
where filters and various transforms are blocks which can be modified and tweaked easily. I also have Labview (The new version 7 can output to FPGA's and Palms). Since I'm more familiar with the software side, apologies in advance for asking dumb
physical board level questions.

Today's question:  If Ethernet boards are optimized transceivers which are also
operationally speaking mostly software, can it have any applicability in the HDTV or SDR arena? That is, what is moving on ethernet is an analog wave form of digital signal which represents an encoding type like tcpip, netbios, appletalk. I realize the devil is in the details but could the following be a possibility: a gigabit (1000)
ethernet card which has either an antenna or wire input which can 'hear' an
HDTV encoded signal which is decoded in software? I just seems to me that the ethernet
board is an SDR type example of a 'cheap', minimal hardware front-end and most
all the action is in software.

Kimsey

address@hidden
Georgia Institute of Technology
791 Atlantic Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
(404) 894-4207