Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microtune 4937 RF module discontinued ...

From: Alan Gray
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microtune 4937 RF module discontinued ...
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:28:04 +1000

I've had the same problems finding the 4937 tuner, and am currently in the process of adapting the hardware design to use a 4702 tuner module with an IF output at 36MHz. When we contacted Microtune they suggested using a tuner such as the 4702 and an additional downconversion stage (they suggested the NEC Electronics UPC2798GR which is apparently what they use in the 4937 tuners anyway)

I've ordered a few of the NEC IC's but they're taking a long time to arrive. In the mean time I'm going to attempt to put together some hardware to use a 4702 module as is. I'm hoping that I should be able to sample the bandlimited signal without any downconversion (it's theoretically possible) and thus avoid the need for any more components.

Further to this, I've got just a quick question about the schematic design:
What is the purpose of the op-amp circuitry connected to the IF outputs of the 4937? It looks to be acting as a buffer and changing the output impedance of the system, however I'd like to be sure. I'll be dealing with a higher frequency output, and while the OPA691 appears to be able to operate at even higher frequencies I'm anticipating having to change that part of the circuit around a little, just need to know exactly what it does.

On a purely academic note, I'm curious as to why the 4937 has 2 pairs of I2C lines (the 4702 has only one SCL SDA pair) but that's just pure curiosity

If I make any significant progress, I'll be sure to send out a message
Alan