RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio based spectrum analyzer

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio based spectrum analyzer
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:13:15 -0400

OK -- I need to explain a bit more what I'm up to. There's a ham radio operating event where a station (W1AW, the headquarters station of the US amateur radio organization) transmits a series of 60 second carriers on several frequency bands. The challenge is to measure those signals with as much accuracy as possible. The signal is not incredibly strong, and it's subject to the vagaries of propagation and interference from other sources (and things like power line noise, etc.). My technique is to tune in the unknown signal and inject a known reference frequency a few tens of Hz away, and then measure the delta between the two in the audio passband -- this way any drift in the receiver is common mode and affects the two signals equally.

Last year I used the baudline spectrum analyzer software and it worked pretty well, but the maximum FFT size is 32768 which led to a couple of limitations. I had to slow down the sample rate to 400/second to get a 0 to 200Hz displayed bandwidth, which yielded a resolution of (I think) 0.16Hz but required me to tune the notes to an awfully low frequency, which presents a few problems with the receiver interface.

For this year, I'm hoping to come up with something that will give me even better resolution but let me put the signals at a bit higher audio frequency for the measurement.

The waterfall display does a good job of letting you find the main signal against the noise, and also lets you track the propagation variations and pick the best spot in the history to do the measurement.

Hope this clarifies things.

John