Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] own a smart card programmer go to jail?

From: Rick Parrish
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] own a smart card programmer go to jail?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:21:03 -0600

Stephen Nichols wrote:

Wonder how long it will be before something like this is directed at programmable radios ?

[ there already is - in the USA, the FCC has gone so far as to require mfgs of scanning receivers to make their radios difficult to modify. An SDR type radio would likely require a digital certificate for the radio's firmware to accept an update. Otherwise the FCC would refuse to issue a type acceptance for the unit. Without a type acceptance, the radio can't be sold to US consumers. ]

Boycotting DirectTV sounds reasonable to me (in additional to any personal lobbying).

Of course, if this project *really* gets going, we won't need common carriers to communicate. Say good bye to DirectTV, ComCast, Cable & Wireless, AT&T, MCI, Sprint ...

-rick