Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AM receiver?

From: tongaloa
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AM receiver?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:38:15 -0500

Suggest using a simple LC lowpass filter on input
C in series, L to ground
This will prevent electrostatic buildup on your antenna from
damaging the board and with appropriate component values, place an
upper limit on the frequencies reaching the board.
-Bob

Ben Gelb wrote:

Not a whole lot to add over what Eric has said here, but AM does work just fine. I connected my Measurement Computing 4020 board directly to an antenna without any external filtering. It's not terribly elegant, and you do leave yourself open to some problems with aliasing, but it will work - you will hear plenty of stations.

I also didn't need an amplifier of any sort. Local AM stations were very stong as well as quite a few shortwave broadcast stations. I do have a large (over 100') wire antenna that I use though, which helps.

There is a screenshot here http://www.tjhsst.edu/~bgelb/techlab/wtop.html
the biggest thing of interest is that there are lots of strong signals! (Upper left FFT).

You really don't want to see the code for that app though. It worked but ... suffice to say its not fit for consumption. The first code I wrote with GNURadio.

I hope this is helpful.

-Ben