[Discuss-gnuradio] SDR NPRM

From: Stephen Nichols
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR NPRM
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:04:47 -0600

I believe this was posted before but...

http://cryptome.org/fcc021704.txt

I only did a really, fast scan but ran across these interesting
parts. Better buy your high speed DACs now before they
become controlled substances. See part 57.

"53. Applicability of SDR Rules. The current rules allow a
manufacturer to declare that a particular radio is an SDR when the
application for equipment authorization is filed, but currently do not
require this declaration. By not declaring a radio as an SDR, the
manufacturer is not required to incorporate the necessary security
features to ensure that only software that is part of an approved
hardware/software combination can be loaded. This means that a radio
can be potentially modifiable, and perhaps easily so, to operate with
parameters not permitted by the rules, or to operate outside those that
were approved for the device, thus increasing the risk of interference
to authorized radio services. "

"    55. Equipment used by amateur radio operators is generally exempt
from a certification requirement. We have maintained this policy to
encourage innovation and experimentation in the Amateur Radio Service.
However, we are concerned that it may be possible for parties to modify
SDRs marketed as amateur equipment to operate in frequencies bands not
allocated to the Amateur Radio Service if appropriate security measures
are not employed. However, we do not wish to prevent licensed amateurs
from building or modifying equipment, including SDRs that operate only
in amateur bands in accordance with the rules. Accordingly, we propose
that manufactured SDRs that are designed to operate solely in amateur
bands are exempt from the mandatory declaration and certification
requirements, provided the equipment incorporates features in hardware
to prevent operation outside of amateur bands. We seek comment on this
proposal."

"    57. While such high-speed DACs are presently marketed to the
scientific community at high unit costs, we are not aware of any which
are marketed as consumer items. We seek comment on whether we need to
restrict the mass marketing of high-speed DACs that could be diverted
for use as radio transmitters and whether we can do so without
adversely affecting other uses of such computer peripherals or the
marketing of computer peripherals that cannot be misused. "