[Discuss-gnuradio] New sources, general questions

From: David Carr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] New sources, general questions
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:26:37 -0600

Hello all,

I'm currently doing some SDR research and I'd like integrate some parts of my project with the GNU Radio base for mutual benefit. I'm having some difficulty understanding the general model of the GNU Radio framework. I like the source/sink architecture very much, it seems a very good way handle the data flow. I however, haven't be able to resolve the differences between Gr and Vr type items. What differentiates these?

Also, I'm using an NI AT-MIO-16E-1 aquisition card in a "capture server" that streams raw data in over a TCP connection. I'd like to create a TCPSource in order to integrate this setup (and other TCP network sources) with the current framework. I can do basic unix style netwok programming but what might I need to do as far as buffering is concerned? My data source outputs 1.25M 16 bit samples per second, continuously. Lastly, what good "intro to the framework" documentation is out there that I might have missed? I would like to become much more familiar with the goings on of GNU Radio.

Thanks for your time,
David Carr
Rice University