Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Howdy from a newbie

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Howdy from a newbie
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:05:42 -0700

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:41:11PM -0700, Jason Box wrote:
> Hey everyone - I'm really new at Linux and I'm just
> getting started with gnuradio.  I just finished my
> linux-from-scratch system and installed gnuradio-2.0
> on a Presario 2100.  So I've made some progress (at
> getting started...)

Welcome newbie!

> I've also got the dial_tone example running, but I
> can't find any of the other demos/examples that
> everybody's been talking about in the mail-lists
> (test_oscope_display...)  Where do I find these?  I'd
> like to test out my software before I go any further
> with adding on hardware or start coding.  I'd like to
> try something that doesn't require hardware, or only a
> soundcard...  Eventually, I'd like to set up a radio
> based off a Ricochet-modem-front-end.

Some of the examples folks are talking about are from the 0.9 gnuradio
tarball, but for now, I'd stay away from them.

Perhaps next week when I get some time I can grab some data with a
bunch of stations in it and make it available for downloading.
This will give you some raw data with plenty of interesting stuff
to play with.

We don't have much that just uses a sound card.  It's possible, but
you'll need some way to up and down convert your RF-of-interest to
something that has narrow enough bandwidth to fit through you
soundcard.

If you haven't already, please browse the wiki too. http://comsec.com/wiki

> Thanks
> Jason