Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSB demodulation

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSB demodulation
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:31:48 -0700

cswiger wrote:

Hi All - I'm making wild stabs are writing modules to demod SSB
with REAL+IMAG or REAL-IMAG for upper and lower sideband, simply
by cloning David Carr's gr_complex_mag module:

John - that's for the comments, always appreciated.  I'm simply
working with the fm radio code, replacing gr.quadrature_demod_cf

My point was that your algorithm for SSB demodulation is incorrect--it's not simply a matter of adding (or subtracting) the real and imaginary portions of the complex symbol stream. The math is a bit complicated, but in the end you have apply a 90 deg. phase delay to the imaginary portion first, via what's called a Hilbert transform.

It sounds like you think the frequency translation already provides the 90 deg. phase shift--there is one involved there but it is something completely unrelated.

I'm actually not all that familiar with the guts of the GNUradio code base, so I can't tell you how to do this. Eric posted a reply with some routines you can use, I think.

73 de Johnathan, AE6HO