Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ATSC

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ATSC
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:29:40 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 04:19:08PM -0500, Robert Bichage wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a noobie here and I'm trying to get started ... specifically I have
> gnuradio 2.x set up (I downloaded and built the source files without a
> problem) and I was trying to run examples using sample files ... I grabbed
> atsc samples from the comsec site but when I looked around for the atsc
> module that's supposed to decode them I couldn't find it ... it says the
> path should be gnuradio/src/gnu/lib/dtv but the closest thing I can find
> approximating that path is gnuradio-core-2.3/src/lib and in lib I can't
> see anything like atsc or dtv ... is there something I'm doing
> wrong/something I've missed? Any help would be greatly appreciated
> thanks
>
> regards
> Robert M Bichage

As Matt pointed out, the code hasn't been ported to 2.x yet.

I'm currently working on the "How to write a signal processing block"
documentation for 2.x.  This will spell out exactly how to write a
block and will be useful for porting code from 0.9.

If you or anyone else is interested in doing the port, I'd be
delighted to provide assistance.  My basic suggestion would be to
bootstrap the code the same way we did the first time around:

Start with the first module of the transmitter path and the last
module of of the receiver path.   Loop these two modules together
through a file and confirm that they are working.  That is,

    create a bogus, but syntactically correct MPEG transport stream
    (There's already code to do this), call this test_ts

    test_ts -> Tx module 0 -> test_output_0
    test_output_0 -> Rx module N -> test_output_N

    check that test_ts and test_output_N are equal (there's already
    code to do this).  There may be a pipeline delay that needs to be
    accounted for.

    When this is working, extend to this:

    test_ts -> Tx module 0 -> Tx module 1 -> test_output_1
    test_output_1 -> Rx module N-1 -> Rx module N -> test_output_N-1

    check that test_ts and test_outpu_N-1 are equal.

    repeat until entire path has been exercised.

FYI, the non-ported ATSC code is in the CVS version of gnuradio-core.

Eric