Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal Hardware to Run Gnuradio on?

From: David Carr
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Minimal Hardware to Run Gnuradio on?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:52:15 -0600

Tom Huppi wrote:

Even for really high rate USB transfers (40MB/sec) I see around
10% utilization on a P4 2.4.

That's good to know (and surprising to me!)  Do I understand
correctly that this is the load in processing, say, hdtv in the
form output by the USRP into an mpeg stream (or whatever)?

I would expect that some types of processing are significanty more
CPU intensive than others.  Would you concur, and if so, can you
put a vauge, order-of-mag type estimate to the issue?
This is the load resulting from transferring 40MB/s of data from a USB device to the GnuRadio framework (into ram essentially).
Decoding a ATSC stream can only be done about 1/20th real time.

-David Carr