[Discuss-gnuradio] make check test failures, Mac OS X, Python/SWIG

From: Jonathan Jacky
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] make check test failures, Mac OS X, Python/SWIG
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:28:48 -0800 (PST)

I built gnuradio-core from CVS on Mac OS X.

After I installed all the prerequisites and made a few edits in the
configure file (where autoconfigure couldn't find things on the Mac),
the bootstrap, configure, and make steps all completed without errors.
However, the tests run by "make check" report many errors; all but one
seem related to SWIG (I've included the messages below).

I initially built with swig 1.3.25 (detailed notes linked below) but
then I noticed some messages on this list reporting problems with
recent swig versions, so I built again with 1.3.22.  I had similar
difficulties with both builds (make check reported errors in the same
places but the messages were different).  I built both swigs from tar
files from www.swig.org - in both cases the selftests run by "make
check" reported a few errors but I pressed on.

I have seen reports on this list and on the wiki that people have
successfully built gnuradio on OS X.  I would be grateful for any
advice.  In particular, can anyone tell me what swig version they used,
and whether any special tweaks are needed to get swig working with python and
C++ on OS X.  I also see that gnuradio-core/README says "DO NOT USE
GCC 3.3" --- which is the gcc version provided with Mac OS X!  However
the README suggests the problem might be for X86 only.  OS X also
provides gcc 2.95.2 as an alternative, but I gather using some other
version under OS X would be inconvenient.  Can anyone tell me whether
the OS X gcc 3.3 (or 2.95.2) works for gnuradio?

Detailed descriptions of my whole installation adventure, including swig and all the other prerequisites, are at
 http://staff.washington.edu/~jon/gnuradio-osx-install-r1.txt (swig 1.3.25)
 http://staff.washington.edu/~jon/gnuradio-osx-install-r2.txt (swig 1.3.22)

Jon Jacky

PS Here are the messages I got from "make check" after I built with swig
1.3.22.  This first one seems to come from C++, so it is probably not
related to swig:

Making check in tests
make  check-TESTS
.Testing gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm_factory...
gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmat (1): Too many open files
gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (1): Invalid argument
gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmat (1): Too many open files
....... gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm_factory: Failed

Then here are the ones that seem to be related to swig:

Making check in gr
make  check-TESTS
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./qa_add_and_friends.py", line 23, in ?
    from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest
  File
"/Users/jon/gnuradio/gr-build/gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr/__init__.py", line 27, in ?
    from gnuradio_swig_python import *
  File
"/Users/jon/gnuradio/gr-build/gnuradio-core/src/lib/swig/gnuradio_swig_python.py", line 5, in ?
    import _gnuradio_swig_python
ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld: python Undefined
symbols:
_SWIG_Python_ConvertPtr
_SWIG_Python_InstallConstants
_SWIG_Python_NewPointerObj
_SWIG_Python_TypeClientData
_SWIG_Python_TypeQuery
_SWIG_Python_TypeRegister
_SWIG_Python_addvarlink
_SWIG_Python_newvarlink

All of the qa_*.py tests fail in exactly the same way, at
import _gnuradio_swig_python