Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Squelch block, AGC function and scanner example

From: Frank Brickle
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Squelch block, AGC function and scanner example
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:40:59 -0500

Martin Dvh wrote:

> I hope also to find a way to determine what kind of signals they are (FM, AM, TV, FSK)
>
> This way you get a list of everything there is to receive with your current frontend.

A non-trivial task. Robust classification in this setting means doing selective channel downconversion and making repeated sequential spectral observations on the channels.

In broadband, this usually requires maintaining a substantial delay line from which to grab and process the selected channels. In commercial systems like the Agilent E3238S the delay line has been the one of the most expensive components.

If you're interested, I wrote a brief expository article about automatic signal classification using probability models of power spectra that appeared in the December 2003 QEX.

Frank