Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] several changes to CVS

From: Tom Huppi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] several changes to CVS
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:37:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Prateek Dayal wrote:

> Dear Eric,
>
> If I have made some blocks on my own, then when I update CVS, I loose
> the makefiles in  which I put reference to my blocks and compiled. Is
> there a way I can save all the re-editing of makefiles after updating
> CVS.

CVS (the way I and most people run it) really shouldn't overwrite
local changes upon update.  If you really are editing a Makefile
(which was generated by the configure script) and losing your
changes, it really has not much to do with CVS other than you
happen to run the configure script shortly after a cvs update.

If that's what is happening, you can create a patch (diff between
a raw and edited version) and re-apply it a will.  Often it will
apply cleanly to an updated Makefile (or generally more
preferable, a Makefile.am.)

...or you could pull out all the stops and use CVS's support for
such problems:

  https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.18/cvs_13.html#SEC103

but it would almost certainly be overkill and a hassle besides.

Thanks,

 - Tom