Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Physical layer for packet-based communication

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Physical layer for packet-based communication
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:18:15 -0800

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:34:50PM -0600, Meenal wrote:
> This is of great interest. On my wishlist is a data link layer
> module (MAC/LLC functionality) that would enable GNURadio, the
> physical layer, to work with IP.
> Is the Click Modular router useful in this respect?
> Thanks
> Meenal

Hi Meenal,

As far as I can tell there are a couple of ways we can get there.  The
most straight-forward is to use the tap/tun interface to create either
a pseudo IP or ethernet port from user space.  The kernel and the rest
of the networking stack is on one end, GNU Radio would be on the
other.

Click isn't a requirement, it's more of an example of how things could
be made to work.  [And a source of examples of how to get packets in
and out of the kernel from users space.]

Eric