[Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about the examples

From: Dawei Shen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about the examples
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:00:57 -0500

Hi, dear gentlemen

Some new USRP boards have arrived yesterday and I am planning to do some
experiments with it, such as FM transmission and reception. However, I
am still a beginner and hope I could use some existing codes without any
modification. Because it's still a bit difficult to me to understand the
code line by line or even modify them.

I find some examples are provided in folder /python/usrp1/ and /usrp.
However, I couldn't use them well.

First, transmission and reception needs an RF-end, what kind of RF-end
should I use? An antenna or just a simple copper wire would be enough?
Should it be connected through the SMA connector?

Second, all these examples do not specify how to run it, i.e. the
arguments I should provide or maybe some other subtle issues. Especially
for the wfm_rcv*.py and fm_tx4.py...., what arguments or frequency
should I provide? Do I need to modify anything in the code? Or where
could I find some hint about how to set these frequency?

Third, some examples require the data file, where could I find the
working data files? fm_tx4.py requires 4 audio data files, where could I
find such data or how should I construct them? What data format does the
audio requires?

Fourth, Invalid EEPROM contents is raised when I use the board. Does it
matter? Could I just ignore it without affecting reception and
transmission? If not, how could I solve this problem?

Finally, I also have some other equipments such as Agilent signal
generator. Could I connect it the the board via SMA connector?

So many questions..........Hope you won't feel bored about them, but
they are really important to a beginner such as me to touch gnu radio.

Thank you very much

Dawei