Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] build gnuradio on windows with cygwin mingw msvc

From: Ulf Soderberg
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] build gnuradio on windows with cygwin mingw msvc
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 23:16:28 +0200

Stephane Fillod wrote:
On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:55:48PM +0200, Ulf Soderberg wrote:

BTW, what transfert rate do you get in TX and RX?
With what kind of USB bridge?

I get 19 MBytes/s RX and 17MBytes/s TX on a Compaq Evo N800w running Windows XP SP2 at 2.2 GHz. It says it has a NEC PCI to USB EHCI controller. Don't know which chip exactly.

17~19MB/s, not bad, esp. with a NEC bridge, which is told to be limited.
Do you have some overruns/underruns? What is the lowest rate
(decim/interp) without overruns/underruns?
Out of curiosity, how does it compare under Linux with same machine?

I tried the same tests on the same machine using Matt's USRP KNOPPIX Beta and got the following results.

RX => 24.57 MBytes/sec
41 overruns using "test_usrp_standard_rx"
41 overruns using "test_usrp_standard_rx -D 8"
5 overrund using "test_usrp_standard_rx -D 1"

TX => 20 MBytes/sec
32768 underruns (slightly suspicious number, I would say)

So it's definitely faster on Linux. I guess the difference in throughput is directly related to the different overhead added by the device driver architectures in Windows and Linux. (the glue between the hw and libusb)

/Ulf