Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] *much* faster filtering --- plus vhf mountaintopp

From: James Cooley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] *much* faster filtering --- plus vhf mountaintopping
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:19:25 -0400

I have successfully used an external USB 2 drive along with the usrp, no problems. And that's with a USB hub with USB2 drive as well as a GPS attached and spewing data. There's a trick, though.... compression. You can make a fifo, ask gnuradio to write to it, and zip it.

In one window, make the fifo and start it:

#> mkfifo testfifo
#> cat testfifo | gzip -c > data.gz

In another, start up the capture, something like this:

#> usrp_rx_file.py -o testfifo

THE reverse step is to unzip,, like this (for example, with the wfm script):

#> wfm_rcv_file.py testfifo

In the other window, do:
#> gzip -dcf data.gz > testfifo

Seems to work barely on my laptop, which is a 1.6 GHz pentium M machine.... HOWEVER, to aid things along even more, I did the captures without using X-windows (you don't need it if your not using any guis). You can switch consoles in linux with ctl-alt-Fx, where F7 is where your x-windows is running. I switched to a console, killed X, used one console for the usrp, the other for the piping and zipping.

How well did it work? I did a sweep of the entire front-end's range, about 40 minutes of sampling incrementing by 400kHz about every second from 50 Mhz to 860 MHz... this gave me a zipped file roughly 600MB.

For usrp source, complex samples, decim 8 (therefore, rate= 8Mbits/sec), this worked out well. By the way, Chuck, I think that if you're using a TVRX board, the downconverter 4937 has a 6 MHz bandwidth... so even though you captured at 8Mhz, don't you only have just 6 of useable data?

-jamie