Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NTSC Demo

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NTSC Demo
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:26:16 +0200

Prateek Dayal wrote:
Currently I feel that the best place to start off would be to code the
monochrome algorithms  in gnuradio frame work .. we need to write the
python module for the monochrome decoding .... I will send you my
thesis and code soon and then we can write the code .. the problem is
that I am not very comfortable in C or python :-(  ....
I would like to be involved too.
A while ago I wrote a very simple tv decoder for gnuradio (monochrome only, no
synchronisation)

Is there somewhere where I can download the thesis and any other info.

All cpu intensive tasks should go into new cpp gnuradio blocks.
There are already quite some generic blocks so maybe we don't have to write
much new ones.
I think we would need:
saw_filter (use fir_filter)
synchronous_am_decoder (new)
color_comb_filter (use iir_filter)
audio_filter (use_fir_filter)
y_(comb)_filter (use iir_filter)
color_demodulator (new)
tv_audio_demodulator (use am_detector (abs)for ntsc or fm_demodulator
(quadrature_demodulator) for pal)
synchronisation_block (new)
streaming_display (new, use SDL)
audio_output (use audio_sink)

Then in python we can add all these blocks together:

fg.connect(usrp_source,saw_filter,synchronous_am_decoder,synchronisation_block)
fg.connect(synchronous_am_decoder,color_comb_filter)
fg.connect(synchronous_am_decoder,y_comb_filter)
fg.connect(color_comb_filter,(color_demodulator,0))
fg.connect(y_comb_filter,(color_demodulator,1))
fg.connect(synchronisation_block,(color_demodulator,2))

fg.connect(color_demodulator,streaming_display)
fg.connect(synchronous_am_decoder,audio_filter,tv_audio_demodulator,audio_sink)

We could also put everything into one block. I think we then should start with
a  generic monochrome videodecoding block
gr_videodecoder_analog

Then write sublasses for ntsc, pal, secam

There is already code for fm and am audio decoding, Probably we can use this
for the audio part.
Otherwise we could also write tv_audio decoding blocks

We also wan't to show the decoded video.
So we could make a
gr_streaming_bitmap_display

I think this would be best implemented in a cpp block using SDL (cross-platform)
This shouldn't be too hard.

greetings,
Martin

i will send you the files soon