Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of BTTV/CX88 capture

From: Cory Papenfuss
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Status of BTTV/CX88 capture
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:35:59 -0400 (EDT)

You were saying some time back that bt878 can't
capture continuous data, did you manage to get
continuous mode on the bt878?

I looked into it awhile back, but I've only *got* a bt878 card... no cx88. IIRC, the reason the cx88 can do it is it has an additional command for the continuous capture. The bt878 can only get raw data out by pretending it's VBI data. That inherently uses the sync part of the chip and doesn't capture data when it thinks there should be a sync. That leave holes, etc.

If the cx88 really can capture continous raw, it would be a great, inexpensive way to get to play with gnuradio.

Also, IIRC the pchdtv cards use the cx88 chip. I don't know if the digital demod is general-purpose enough, but maybe a looksee through that code could help, too?

just a though,

-Cory