[Discuss-gnuradio] Why does a SINE wave have a real part?

From: sudhindra aithal kota
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why does a SINE wave have a real part?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:43:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
 I am running the usrp_siggen.py program with the
option -m 0x98. The signal transmitted is a SIN wave.
My understanding of this option is, Channel 0's I part
is connected to DAC0 and Channel 0's Q part is
connected to DAC1. Since for a SIN wave the real part
does not exist, there should not be anything
transmitted via DAC0.
 Then I connect the TX and RX part of the USRP board
and use the usrp_oscope.py function with the option -m
0x33333310 to view the signal I have transmitted. This
would mean connect ADC0 to the I part of Interpolator0
and ADC1 to Q part of Interpolator0.I see 2 signals
with a phase difference of 90. Where is the second
signal coming from, when I am transmitting only one
signal?

Regards
Sudhindra

Send a rakhi to your brother, buy gifts and win attractive prizes. Log on to
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/rakhi/index.html