[Discuss-gnuradio] RA Receiver front end

From: Frank Rawlins
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RA Receiver front end
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:22:56 -0500

Hi Groups (sara and gnuradio),

I am planning to use UHF TV tuner module and satellite TV tuner module for the
front end of RA receiver.  The frequencies of interest are 600MHz (TV antennas
are cheap!) and 1.4GHz.  I have a R-8500 receiver but choose the TV tuners
because of their wide bandwidth.  The IF of each can be amplified and fed to
integrator/DC amp or the IF could be fed to the USRP.

I want to choose the best tuners with regard to Noise figure etc.  There is
very little on the internet regarding the specifications of each type.  The web
site "TV tuners in Donberg's Warehouse" list over a hundred TV tuners with
prices but which one do I choose? Could it be they are all the same to an
industry standard specification? I have some tuners from old wrecked TVs  Guess
what? there is no model number on the modules.  Another problem - what about
identifying the pin-outs?  There is one very good website using a TV tuner
UV916 building a 45-860MHz receiver (just put UV916 into search engine).  I
cannot find any more information regarding other types.

Finally, I must admit I am confused between analogue and digital tuners.  Hope
someone has experience of TV tuners and able to help.

Best wishes,

Frank Rawlins
South Coast England