[Discuss-gnuradio] Cellular relay

From: Aaditeshwar Seth
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cellular relay
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:23:27 -0400

Hi,

My question is not directly connected with the SDR radio, but I think there might be people on this list who will be able to help me. Or, point me to a right place to put forth my questions.

You must be aware of research efforts made for cellular ad hoc relay systems which suggested a slightly modified (or an extra) radio on cellphones that could enable ad hoc communication directly between cellphones, or from a cellphone to a thin relay. http://csdl2.computer.org/comp//proceedings/hicss/2002/1435/09/14350300.pdf

The reason why a radio modification is required for such systems is that the chipsets on cellphones are hardwired to communicate to the infrastructure only. Dual mode cellphones can however get around this problem by enabling ad hoc communication on the WiFi interface instead. http://www.bell-labs.com/user/ramjee/papers/ucan.pdf

I was however thinking that low bandwidth ad hoc communication might still be possible on the cellular GPRS/CDMA interface by using a low cost relay access point that pretends to be a real access point. For example, the paging channel or the low bandwidth data channel could be used with SMS as a transport layer. I am not sure, but I think this goes unencrypted. The relay will then have to function at the transport layer. I agree that high bandwidths will not be possible, but a large number of applications can be dreamt of that can benefit from this ad hoc communication.

Thanks!

Aaditeshwar.