Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] complex examples

From: Jim Lindstrom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] complex examples
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:19:43 -0500

On 9/20/05, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
> Any thoughts?

Long ago, in a galaxy far far away, I built a state-chart
compiler and runtime system that was used as part of the real-time
control in a line of secure phones.  Besides the state-chart
abstraction, it also included hierarchical blocks with unidirectional
typed message ports.  This was based on the "Real Time Object-Oriented
Modeling" (ROOM) ideas described in a book of the same title by Selic,
Gullekson and Ward.   Sometimes it seemed like more structure that I
wanted.  Being able to send a message to anybody you can see is
sometimes very helpful.

Eric, I think I'm interested in a more structured system than perhaps you are.  What I'm interested in is a control framework where each block has either (A) one or more control ports or (B) a single message queue.  In the case of the control ports, I am envisioning directed connections between control ports.  In the case of a single message queue, you could go either publish/subscribe (broadcast) or directed msgs (with some sort of recipient ID).  I don't really like the more ad-hoc solution of having a heterogenous collection blocks built from different abstractions.  The more abstractions, the more code required to support them.

Before spending any work on the idea, I am very interested in seeing how people are already trying to solve problems of control messaging with GNU Radio or other SDR frameworks.  There's the case of block-to-block control (maybe a downstream block knows that the waveform is doing frequency hopping and publishes the new frequency to an upstream demodulator, for instance).  There's also the case of external application-to-block control if you try to do something fancy like combining a COTS stack with a GNU Radio PHY layer.

So, again... Before embarking on building such a framework, I think it would be wise to try to find some folks with experience with this sort of thing, either in the form of code available, or just in the form of lessons learned the hard way..  Anybody??

To jump ahead, I guess I was suggesting that perhaps this solution sounds like a good candidate for state machines as the underlying model since there are already FSM frameworks available and they give you an event/message passing/queuing/handling framework for free essentially.

jbl