Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fear and loathing of GNURadio in D.C.

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fear and loathing of GNURadio in D.C.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:23:06 -0700

Weber, Michael J. (US SSA) schrieb:

Steve, thanks for the link...

I think articles like these miss two big points:

The biggest point that seems to be missed, is that the FCC is essentially
an arm of business. There may be minor skirmishes which are 'won', such
as the poison-pill bit quirement in 'receivers', but otherwise, the FCC has
consistently regulated in favor of monopolies of the airwaves for the benefit
of busness.

The only time 'SDR' will become 'common' is when business finally sees
it as economically feasable, and convinces the FCC that with business's
oversight, chaos will not ensue.

I'm particularlly pessimistic today... as I am everyday...

(The next thing I expect out of the government is a characteristic
signature signal required from every radio transmitting device, so it will make
it easier for the government to 'find/identify' users of such equipment.)

John Clark