RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using USRP w/o Daughterboard's

From: Robitaille, Michael
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using USRP w/o Daughterboard's
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:37:25 -0700

On Monday, November 07, 2005 10:31 PM Eric Blossom Wrote

>> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:54:21 -0800, Eric Blossom wrote:

>> > The code that's been in CVS for quite a while treats "no rx
daughterboard"

>> as if there were a Basic Rx

>> > daughterboard attached.

>> > See the last few lines for db_basic.py

>> Should I get the error message;

>>  "Warning: Treating daughterboard with invalid EEPROM contents as if it
were

>> a "Basic RX."

>> "Warning: This is almost certainly wrong... Use appropriate burn-*-eeprom

>> utility."

> Have you tried to butch in a EEPROM to simulate a Basic Rx?

> If so, either program it, or remove it.

> On the other hand, you may have hosed up something while modifying

> your USRP motherboard.

No I have not 'butch' in an EEPROM and I have done nothing that could have
hosed the USRP.  All I did is put two small leads on the mating connector to
input a signal.  The only signals that I tried to input so far are from a
generator +/- 0.5 Vpp sine/square wave and about 5 feet long wires to try
and pickup a local FM.  I have not tried to insert my actual signal yet.

In python interactive mode I have done the following:

Python >> u=usrp.source_c()

'RX d'board A:<none>'

'RB d'board B:<none>'

Python >> sbdev = (0, 0)            #default subdev

Python >> u.subdev=usrp.selectected_subdev(u, sbdev)

Python >> u.subdev.side_and_name()

'A:<none>'

Python >>

Note that I did not get the warning message.  Should I have gotten it?  From
the last command it looks like the subdev is 'A:<none>', is this what it
should be if it defaults to Basic RX daughterboard?

Mike