Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fftsink and scopesink refactored

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] fftsink and scopesink refactored
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:51:23 +0100

Eric Blossom wrote:
FYI,

fftsink and scopesink were just refactored to use messages and message
queues to communicate between the C++ and Python side.  This removes
our dependency on pipes, but more importantly, the C++ side will now
never block trying to send data to the GUI.
Thank you very much.
Not depending on pipes is very important for the windows port.
I tested rightaway and fftsink and scopesink now work right out-of-the-box on
windows.
(No more windows-special hacks in scopesink and fftsink needed)

All options work, only the gui doesn't respond when the datarate is too great.

The C++ side will never block, but the gui does block when the data is coming
in too fast.
In fft_sink you can solve this by adding the fft_rate=5 parameter when
initiating the fft_sink.
(5 frames/sec in stead of default 20 frames/sec)
I also do this most of the time in linux because otherwise the gui-response is
very slow on my 1Ghz machine.
On windowas it just doesn't respond at all without this. This could be
different on faster machines.

With the scopsink I have to imidiately click on the timebase decrease button a
couple of times.
When the timebase is short enought (below 5 microsec) the gui starts responding
normally.
With a longer timebase, the gui gets no time at all, so does not respond.

I also tried adding the gr_throttle block, but this didn't help.
(as is in the example in scopsink.py itsself)

With gnuradio-core, gr-wxgui gr-audio-windows and the usrp working on windows I
think it is time to get the windows-port out of the experimental stadium.

I have been working on making some cross-build scripts to cross-build and
generate the windows installers from linux.
But this needs again a few gr_python.m4 changes.
(Not all variables are overidable on the commandline now)

I even could build the usrp installer using innosetup under wine.

Does anybody know if you can start innosetup from a script and tell it to build
something without user/gui interaction?

The thing I couldn't built under linux was the fpga firmware because I couldn't
get quartus to work under wine.

Greetings,
Martin

There are also a couple generally useful new blocks:

  gr.message_source
  gr.message_sink

The message source receives data from messages sent to it and writes
it to an output stream.

The message sink reads data from its input stream, generates messages
and inserts them into the provided message queue.

These are currently useful for getting variable length data in and out
of the C++ world.  They currently work within the same address space,
but with a bit of work, could be made to work across address spaces.

Eric