Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple USRPs

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple USRPs
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:28:05 -0500

In addition to Matt's answer let me add a few remarks. A few years ago, while working with Tom Clark at Goddard Space Flight Center (Tom is an astrophysicist), I was asked to look at some Kalman Filtering routines for his VLBI work. MANY years later, I desperately needed to make widely placed, but otherwise unconnected, oscillators and receivers as coherent as possible. When I realized he had solved this problem I asked him how. His VLBI work has been used to do extremely accurate geodesy and done such things has measure the change of rotation rate of the earth due to El Nino current changes, etc. I knew from the Kalman Filtering work that he was doing coherent signal processing on recorded signals. These recorded signals were from instruments thousands of kilometers apart and then brought back to Goddard for processing sometimes months after the collection. How was this possible? He tuned and transported Hy masers to his sites and then locked all oscillators to the masers. Even that was not enough. He also had to continuously calibrate the path/ transfer function from the antenna through the receive apparatus. Using this same maser as the reference source, he turned on a pulse train generator and combined it with incoming signals at the antenna.

Most of us here do not need this level of complexity. We can do with much less. For example, I do coherent signal processing at HF, VHF, UHF to do timed difference of arrival geolocation with receivers covering a few hundred square kilometers by doing the same function with GPS receivers taming an oscillator. The GPS tamed oscillator is used to cohere the systems and to generate the pulse train that aids in calibration of the transfer function in front of the digitization process. I can geolocate a reasonable SNR signal at (say) 10 MHz using this system to a few meters and carrier phase is definitely in the calculation.

So one of the first lessons I learned in my travels was "Who is on first and What is on second". These players include:

NEVER use a PLL'd thing as the oscillator driving a system when you need high phase stability. It is okay to use a temperature compensated voltage controlled high quality crystal oscillator. You want the phase stability of any system guaranteed by a high quality oscillator (crystal, etc.).

If you also need ACCURACY, you use your Hy maser or you GPS tamed reference oscillator to tune the high quality VCO to get on frequency. Your design problem following this realization is to optimize which of the two different systems dominates the Allan Variance at what kind of time offsets. Short term phase stability is determined by the high stability (crystal) oscillator. Long term stability is determined by the Maser or GPS tamed beast used in a Tom Van Baak style mechanism to keep the VCO pulled in. The latter is provided by (say) the Reflock II boards available from TAPR.

Cheers,
Bob

Matt Ettus wrote:

This raises a question I've always had about phase-coherence of PLL
oscillators that use a common
clock source.  Will they be coherent "enough" for things like
astronomical interferometry?

Yes.

The individual PLLs will still have "close in" phase noise components
that are unrelated to
on another.  I suppose that given that you typically integrate over
several seconds, such
artifacts get cancelled out.  But at very fine timescales, I imagine
that PLLs locked to
a common clock are *not* a good way to get decent coherency?

The close in noise is from the COMMON reference, so there is nothing to
cancel, it is perfect.  It is the further out phase noise components
which are not the same between the 2 PLLs, since those components are
from the individual VCOs.  These integrate out fairly quickly, and are
much smaller anyway.

Matt